blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Tuesday, July 09, 2013

Portobello & Muhammara Dip!

Yum!  I really am enjoying the RAW food recipes I've been experiencing lately.  Although it can be time consuming trying to make it taste like real food, it is definitely worth the time.  Wait, did I really just say that?  "Real food"!  Wow.  I suppose most of us have been eating the same meals of meat and potatoes, throughout the years, so I guess that is considered 'real food'.  What we don't see is how processed it really can be, that's the unhealthy part.

I was a vegetarian when I was younger, so going almost totally raw isn't an issue for me.  I can find it very fulfilling and a natural way of eating.  Meat was never my favorite, so I did only consume chicken and fish for the longest time.  What really made me change to NO meat, is a book called Skinny Bitch.  Sound familiar?  This book is so funny they way these ladies write it, but it is also sad how animals are inhumanely tortured and slaughtered. Sorry, but the truth always hurts.

With respect to you meat eaters out there, I do cook it for the family.  I just don't eat it. (All the while apologizing to the meat, wherever it came from or how long it sat there before getting to our table :) I have gotten more into the pre-packaged marinated meats, or toss everything but the kitchen sink into a crock pot, putting my focus on the vegetables and salads.  I can put together a mean salad, such as last night.

This is what I'm talking about!  Salad as a full meal.  This one I put avocado in it, kale, romaine, tomatoes, mushrooms, edamame, shaved carrots, hemp seeds, and a RAW made parmesan (by processing some nutritional yeast and almonds, tastes like the real thing), and light vinaigrette dressing.

I get a proud feeling when I make my RAW food and it tastes like an original food.  Such as my tuna-fishless sandwich. That was good.  I haven't made that lately, but it's a good weekend lunch.



Over the holiday weekend with my sister visiting, we made the Muhammara Dip and Portobello Burgers.  Oh so good!  Little Sis' marinated some portobellos and I made a burger out of some.

I cooked the porto-burger on the grill, in my cast iron pan.  I love cooking that way.  It seared it on the outside and it made for a nice juicy burger!  No worry about any 'raw meat' in the middle, it's always edible.  

(See the recipe below)
I used sprout bread and slapped some Muhammara Dip on this baby, along 
with some romaine and tomatoes.  It was so delicious.  (See the recipe below.) 
Muhammara Dip.  So good with fresh cut vegetables.  
This is full of amino acids, omega fats & vitamins.  
The vitamin C in red peppers, helps to repair and regenerate collagen. 

Both of these recipes are from my Beauty Detox Foods book.  I am not compensated in any way to mention this book, I just love the recipes!  You can find some of the recipes free on line by searching.  Check out the link, it is very informative.  For those of you interested in RAW eating or just some healthy tips and dips.  
  
Raw Muhammara Dip 
Combine all ingredients in a blender/processor until smooth.  You can add roasted peppers (dried) if you want a thicker consistency. I add hemp seeds and flax meal also.  
3 red peppers
1 cup raw walnuts (soaked in water for 15 minutes)
1 medium garlic clove
1 T nutritional yeast
3/4 tsp sea salt
1 T fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp powdered stevia (I chose not to add this sweetener)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp cumin

Portobello Mushroom Burger
This is the best veggie burger "I" have ever had, and the first I ever made! Use your food processor for the mushrooms and parsley first.  Move to a large bowl and set aside.  In a skillet, cook the garlic and onions in the vegetable broth, until translucent.  Add celery and cook another minute.  Add spices and everything together with the porto-parsley bowl and mix.  I formed them into patties and cooked on the grill in my cast iron pan, from there.  You can refrigerate for 45-mintues, and then form into patties.  Place into the oven at 350, for 30-minutes.  
4 portobello mushrooms     
1/2 c fresh chopped parsley
1 T low sodium vegetable broth
1 glove garlic, minced
1/2 c finely chopped celery
2 1/2 T organic ketchup (I did not have, and did not add any)
1/2 T fresh chopped thyme (You could use dry if needed, on all the spices)
1 tsp fresh chopped oregano 
1/2 tsp fresh chopped sage
1 T low-sodium tamari
1 tsp sea salt
2 c gluten free bread crumbs

So there you have it!  If you want to go RAW, you can always start slow.  Or, just use it as an ultra healthy way of eating for a couple days during the week.  You could even see yourself shedding some unwanted pounds.  Find the recipes you like most and work with them.  I'm always improvising with different ingredients.  Especially if I don't have them available to me.  

Have you tried any raw recipes? 
Share your favorites!
signature

4 comments:

  1. I want to eat healthy. I really do. i want to eat raw food...I do. But then I go to Trader Joe's and see all the delicious things and I'm hooked.

    It's Trader Joe's fault. More like Gypsy Joe...

    However, that dip sounds good although I'm confident I don't have yeast just sitting around the house, and I have no idea what that sweetener is that you referenced and said you didn't use.

    I probably wouldn't use it because I have no idea what it is.

    Could I purchase it at Gypsy Joe's?

    I'm sensing a blog post coming on about Trader Joe and his evil twin Gypsy Steve.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Okay, so I had to Google Gypsy Joe's. Either you are talking about an ice cream company, or Gilberto, better knows as Gypsy Joe, the professional wrestler! Either way, no, I don't think you'll find nutritional yeast in either of those 'areas'. :) Hahaha.

      Nutritional yeast comes in flake or flour consistency, and used in vegan foods. It has B-12/complex vitamins, that most vegan eaters need to supplement their B's. It has a nutty cheesy taste, not to be used alone however. It would not leave a good taste in the mouth. I use it with almonds and process them into a parmesan for salads, without using real cheese. Like you, I love T-Joe's!

      The stevia is a natural sweetener, very sweet so you need very little. Also having a good nutritional value. Better than agave nectar.

      I've probably given you too much information already, so I'll let wipe your brow in relief and go see Gypsy Joe! I'll have to see if we have one on the east coast.

      Delete
  2. Where do you get your nutritional yeast? I've been looking for some and I just can't find it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me a while to find it also, but you can find it in Whole Foods, in the self serve area with other oats and nuts. You don't need to have much on hand, unless you use it often. I refrigerate mine in a glass container after opening.

      Delete

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo