blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Thursday, July 04, 2013

Happy 4th of July 2013!

Today I want to wish everyone a very safe and Happy 4th!  


A little history, compliments of history.com

Variously known as the Fourth of July and Independence Day, July 4th has been a federal holiday in the United States since 1941, but the tradition of Independence Day celebrations goes back to the 18th century and the American Revolution (1775-83). In June 1776, representatives of the 13 colonies then fighting in the revolutionary struggle weighed a resolution that would declare their independence from Great Britain. On July 2nd, the Continental Congress voted in favor of independence, and two days later its delegates adopted the Declaration of Independence, a historic document drafted by Thomas Jefferson. From 1776 until the present day, July 4th has been celebrated as the birth of American independence, with typical festivities ranging from fireworks, parades and concerts to more casual family gatherings and barbecues.


I'm told that my distant relative (Stockton) signed the Declaration of Independence, cool huh!


Not only is the 4th a fun and special holiday for all its beauty, but one big reason is very personal for me and my Pops.  My dad passed in 2003, 10-years ago this past January.  He was very ill, for too many years.  Thoughts of him make it still feel like yesterday.  Not a day goes by that I don't think of him in some small way.  We were both taken from each other too soon, and he was much too young. One of my great memories of my dad, was going with him to the 4th of July Fireworks, when I was little.  Not only to watch, but to watch him put on these spectacular shows!  Aside from his full-time job, he would set off fireworks displays for a company on special occasions, in small towns, and at the beaches of New Jersey.  I was always so proud to know that my dad was that special person setting off the displays, making everyone ooohhh 'n ahhhh and smile!  I would watch him run as he lit the holes, then hear the whipping of the firework blast out of the ground and blow up into the night sky, into the most beautiful arrangements.  The best part, the BOOMS in between!  


So when I am watching the fireworks tonight with my family, in the small town where I grew up ~ I will think of my daddy, as I always do.  Seeing him run around, setting the pipes in the sand alight, and imagine his big warm smile as he laughs, running away from the flare.  This will make me smile, and I'll feel him with me as we admire the night sky in the most beautiful arrangements :)


May your holiday be filled with many beautiful memories! 
signature

4 comments:

  1. what wonderful memories! <3 Wherever your dad is now, I'm sure he's very happy. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary, so nice of you to read this post and comment. It is very sweet of you. xo

      Delete

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo