blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Thursday, July 25, 2013

What a DIP!

Recently I was at a family gathering for two cute little nephews.  "C" was turning 3, and "K" was Baptized.  It was a fun day with great family and great weather.

I brought a dish, Mango Salsa with Cilantro!  What a dish.  So frigging good, no one could stop eating it.  Is it rude if the 'bringer' eats most of their dish? Everyone was eating it. Yum, yum. So I'm sharing it with you, and I know if you try it and you like mango, you will absolutely love this dish!  Plus, I love cilantro. You'll want to like cilantro, to make this dish.  I never did, but it grew on me over the years.

I have this book called, Delicious Dips! 


There are some pages tagged in the book, but I don't remember actually making anything from it.  Hhmmm, maybe a cheese thingy. I have a few cookbooks, and have hardly made any of the recipes in them.  Does this happen to most of us?  If I do, I always tweak them and at times have to improvise if I don't have an ingredient.  That's when the dish always comes out best.  For me anyway.

For this dish I intentionally bought all the ingredients, of course.  It's a quick preparation. 


And THAT (down there), is the result...delicious and naturally sweet! Even the teaspoon of salt it calls for I reduced to 1/4, if that.  I just don't like too sweet or adding much salt to anything I make.  For best results with this, cover and let it chill for at least 8-hours before serving.  Remove it from the refrigerator 45 minutes before serving, you don't want it ice cold.  We had time from the church to the party, and I had it in a cold sack, so it was perfect.
Doesn't this look absolutely yummy?
If you invite me to your party, you can bet I'll bring this dish.  

Here's the Recipe (I doubled it)
2    mangoes, peeled, pitted, cut into 1/2" dice
1/2 medium red onion, cut into 1/2" dice (used 1 medium for doubling recipe)
4    green onions, including green tops, diced (I used 6 for doubling recipe)
2    tomatoes, cored, seeded, cut into 1/2" dice
1    jalapeño chile, seeds and ribs removed, finely minced (I just used chili's minced)
1    cup fresh cilantro chopped
Juice of 1 large lemon (used 1 1/2 for doubling recipe)
Juice of 1 lime (used 1 large for doubling recipe)
2    T pure olive oil (I kept it at 2, even though I doubled the recipe)
1    tsp kosher salt

In a medium bowl, combine mangoes, red and green onions, tomatoes, jalapeño, and cilantro.  In a measuring cup, stir together the lemon and lime juices, oil, and salt.  Stir until the salt is dissolved.  Pour over the mango mixture, and blend together.  Cover, and let chill in the frig.  If you are in a hurry, you can let it chill and set for at least an hour before eating.  It is best after setting 8-hours though.  Yum!

Also, I made some tortilla chips.  Just cut up some tortilla shells, brush with vegetable oil, some coriander, salt, and some sesame and poppy seeds.  Everything to your own taste.  Bake at 400 for 5 minutes, flip over for another 5.  Perfection!

De-lish-cious!  

signature

2 comments:

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo