blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Bees, Bees!

I think I noticed this baby in the early Summer.  How could I have missed that!  I mean it's directly in front of me as I walk to the back of my yard.  I take the pups out for a walk several times a day.  When I noticed it, thank goodness I did, these wasps were actually flying low in the ground also.  Needless to say, I strayed away from that part of the yard.  This thing IS huge!  

I know this is a bit blurred, but I didn't do such a hot job taking the photo, and then cropping.  
In the photo on the right, you can kind of see how it is torn in the back.  I'm thinking the queen, if there is a queen of wasps, what do I know, they all took off following her, knowing the cold stuff is headed our way. Ugh, the thought! 

Quick story, years ago we had this room upstairs that was over an outside area of the house, like a patio.  We would always hear this buzzing, and here and there see a bee in the house.  WELL, one day we are all outside, even my cockatiel Opus, and this swarm of bees came out from under the roof of the patio and I'll tell you, they were in perfect formation as they came toward us, then made a quick turn.  Their quick turn was right threw my birds cage!  I was freaking out!  A brave soul, one of our friends, ran to the bird cage and grabbed it!  He saved Opus!  How 'bout that. True story.  Promise.  

Ignore that plant please, the pretty parts just started looking sad :(
So anyway, this is how far the nest is from the house.  Straight down the middle, in that huge pine.  I can't wait until it gets cold enough to get that thing out of there.  Wait, I'm begging for cold!  Strike that.  It is actually a nice piece of art, hard working little buggers.  They didn't bother me, I didn't bother them.  Stay summer, please stay!! 

UPDATE: Yesterday I was a brave soul and got closer to the nest.  Took a great photo, below, and as I'm backing away wouldn't you know a bee flew right in.  Guess they were napping :)

Aren't they magnificent though?  

Have you had any nests like this? 


Friends Around the World Link Up Blog Hop

Today is also a day to make FRIENDS AROUND THE WORLD!  Treasure Tromp and Brachel Boulevard are the brains behind this one.  Check it out and climb on board!


6 comments:

  1. Augh! Even looking at it on my computer stresses me out. I'm really not a fan of bees!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Eeek. Not a fan of bees either! You are brave to get that close for that picture!!

    Thank you so much for linking up!!

    Rachel From Brachel Boulevard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rachel! Thanks for coming by. Nice to see you here.

      I definitely won't be going near that nest until the ice of winter!

      Delete
  3. Eeeeppp! I would be freaking out to come across something like that. You did however capture some beautiful photos! Well done for being brave enough to get close ;)

    Kate | Diaries of an Essex Girl

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, thanks Kate, either brave or nuts! I can only take the brave because I wasn't attacked. :)

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo