blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Sunday Night Dinner!

Sunday was a great day for getting things done early in, and out of the house.  Then home for an early dinner with the hubster.  I spent more time in the kitchen than I would have liked for a Sunday, but I was in the mood to cook.  I kind of just threw some things together, and that's when it all turns out the best.

I made a butternut squash soup, with coconut water, potatoes, onion and celery.  It was delish!


I wanted something different.  This sure did hit the mark on every level, for me! 


I buy the pre-cut butternut squash, assuming it is a large squash.  I figure that's better than me possibly cutting my thumb off trying to cut those hard things.  

These are my ingredients:

1 small onion
1 stalk of celery
1 bag of mini potatoes
1 large butternut squash 
1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
Black pepper

Put all the ingredients in a pot with about 1/2-cup low sodium vegetable broth, add more as needed. I precooked my squash, because I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it, last minute I decided I was adding the potatoes and celery, so I set it aside as I softened them. When all ingredients are soft enough to mash, I put in the coconut water & any remaining veggie broth, using my hand blender to process into a smooth blend.  Add as much black pepper, or any other spice as you desire.  I find the flavors of each ingredient are enough for me, so add whatever you like to your own taste. 

With this, I also made a pizza with hummus, rather than a red sauce, I'm not a huge red sauce lover. 


This was so good!  I am so happy I tried a hummus base.  
Try this, if you love hummus, you'll love this. 

My ingredients: (of course you can put any topping on you prefer)

Arugula
2 tbl hemps seeds (optional) 
2 pieces of whole grain flat bread
1/2 cup minimum of hummus any kind/flavor you want (I pile it on!)
1 large yellow, orange or red pepper
1 large tomato
Cheddar cheese, shredded (I used daiya vegan cheddar)

So easy! Spread the hummus on the flat bread.  Sprinkle the hemp seeds (I like to throw protein and omega's on food any change I get), and the other ingredients on top in layers.  Place in oven at 375 degrees, for 10-15 minutes.  You'll love it, promise! 


That was my Sunday, after my morning 3-mile run :)

What recipes are you creating? 





4 comments:

  1. Oh my! I wish my guys liked butternut squash. It's such a yummy fall food. These look amazing! Thank you for sharing with us! xoxo

    -Brittnei
    http://homemakingwithstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brittnei, you should make some for your lunches and freeze batches for your "winter-cup-of-goodness-couch-potato book-reading-alone-time"

      :)

      Delete

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo