blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Thursday, June 06, 2013

Mama's Got A Brand New Rack!

Spice Rack that is :)

I finally did it!  It only took me months of procrastination, with many excuses on top of another, but I am so happy that I finally organized my spice cabinet.  I am feeling pretty darn good about myself,  because I am now officially, RACKGANIZED!

Take a look at this mess. Not a pretty sight.  Although it doesn't look so bad in the photo, take my word for it, BIG MESS. How many times have you picked up a bottle (in a rack like this) only to pick it up again, after picking up 5 other bottles around it 3 times, to see what kind of spice it is?  Too many times to count. The day finally came where I said, "I have a bad rack".

So, I took every single bottle and item out of the rack, and started to put the items in some kind of sorted, organized mess to work from.  It didn't take long to see I had multiples of many bottles.  

I found some pret-ty interesting can spices in all that mess.  I'm talking spices that I remember seeing in my mother's spice cabinet when I was in high school.  I believe they were hand-me-downs from her to help get me started, ha-ha. Let me tell you, without actually telling you, that's some 'old spice'!  Just look at the price of sage at $1.49. 

So I kept it :) Then I asked myself, "does spice go bad?" I don't know the answer to that, but pretended I did.  Taking the multiple bottles of the same spice, I poured the small containers into the larger. Why not, right?

With some stickers I had on hand, I cleaned the shelving and started to label the containers on the lids.  No more picking up the same jar of spice more than once in this rack!

Another great idea was to mark the sticker with a number if there were more than one bottle.  This way I would know I had another one on hand.  The extra bottles were put in a dark cool place, my pantry (which is a whole other organization procrastination).

Would you look at that!  Mama's got a brand new rack, and she is smiling! You can bet your sweet tush, I proudly open that spice rack at least twice a day.  It puts a huge satisfied smile on my face :)


Now, I know it won't stay this rackganized, but I will be able to find what I need.  All the baking supplies such as sprinkles and paper cup cake wrappers and the like, were put into a basket for the pantry.  If you think this rack was bad, just wait until you see the pantry!  That's next on the list.

Do you need to be rackganized?  
Does spice go bad? 
signature

2 comments:

  1. It looks great!!! Good work! I'm also SUPER jealous of your pull out spice drawer! Someday I'll have something like that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Susannah! So glad you have your comment.
    I am lucky to have this cabinet, it is very convenient. Although it is like having a big purse, where things just keep getting thrown in!

    ReplyDelete

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo