blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Monday, March 24, 2014

Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie

This is a great dish.
I like to say hearty at times, and my hubster makes fun of me.

As I read the blurb in the Detox Book, Kim says it's a hearty dish.  I am vindicated!
Although the hubster didn't enjoy this dish, I most certainly did.
Maybe I need to put chocolate in his dish next time :)


It looks like a lot of work, but it is very simple.  You are mainly chopping everything up and adding the spices, top it off with sweet potatoes and there you have it.  A pie.

Here are the ingredients:

Coconut oil, for greasing the pan
3 large sweet potatoes, chopped into thirds (you can peel if you'd like)
1/2 cup almond milk
Sea salt, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
2 tbs + 1/2 cup low-sodium vegetable broth, divided
1 cup onions
1 clove garlic, minced
1 cup celery
1 1/4 cups peeled and diced carrots
1 cup fresh or frozen peas
Kernels from 2 ears of corn (I used frozen)
1 1/4 tsp fresh thyme leaves
2 tsp minced fresh rosemary
1 tbs arrowroot starch
1/4 cup Ener-G egg replacer, mixed with very hot water
Nutmeg, optional 



Directions:
Lightly grease 2-qt glass casserole dish with coconut oil. 

In large saucepan, boil your sweet potatoes. I actually use the individual sweet potatoes to toss in the microwave. Call me a cheater. If you've boiled them, drain and place in a large mixing bowl; mash lightly. I left the skin on, yummy! Add the almond milk and blend with hand mixer on medium, until smooth and fluffy.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. 

Heat 2 tbs of vegetable broth in large skillet over medium heat. I found I needed more as I went along cooking the onions first until translucent. Then add garlic and cook another minute. Add celery, peas, carrots, corn thyme and rosemary. Increase heat to med-high. In a small bowl whisk together the the remaining veggie broth and arrowroot until smooth, and add to the skillet. When the mixture gets close to boiling, immediately reduce heat. Add sea salt and black pepper to season to taste. Remove from heat, stir in the egg replacer mixture. 

Pour veggie mixture into the bottom of the prepared casserole dish, spread evenly across bottom. Spoon sweet potato mix over the vegies, spreading to cover all the way to the edges.  Sprinkle the top with nutmeg, if desired.  

Bake in preheated oven at 375, until the top is slightly brown, about 40 minutes.  Allow to rest 20 minutes before serving.

I really enjoyed this dish.  I used to make it with my faux meat, but this is so much better.  The popping of the corn kernels and peas, with the sweet potatoes is a fulfilling dish! 

Enjoy!




No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo