blankhomeblankaboutblankdiyblankclean eatsblankcontactblank

Thursday, March 20, 2014

Pulling For Me!

I'm pulling for me! Day 3.

Do you know what "Oil Pulling" is?  It's when you take a teaspoon or two of oil, I prefer coconut oil, and swish it around your mouth for up to 20 minutes a day. Crazy, right?


The benefits you ask? It's said bacteria is literally pulled into the oil. So spit that stuff out when your done. Makes sense, right? All the bacteria and toxins start in the mouth. Oh, and it is claimed to whiten teeth!  I like that, and I'm game to try.

I've read so much hype on this oil pulling to be a healthy thing, I'm interested.  Who doesn't want to be healthy? I'm always looking to better myself and my health. 

I've stumbled on this over many places of the internet and magazines.
However, it all started here:
The Grass Skirt

One of my favorite blogs that I stumbled upon when I first started blogging. Cutie-pie Erin over there, has her act together.  She has the answers to the most FAQ's and shares her own one-month experience with Oil Pulling. (Do check out more on her blog than just the oil pulling.) 

So I decided on coconut oil, because I love the smell and the flavor.  I warm it up to melt a little before putting it into my mouth.  Maybe I'll try Sesame or Walnut oil tomorrow.  Change it up. 



I've read the following, here. Food Matters, also has info on the different oils and their benefits.

First, the oils mix with the saliva, turning it into a thin, white liquid. Lipids in the oils begin to pull out toxins from the saliva. As the oil is swished around the mouth, teeth, gums and tongue, the oil continues to absorb toxins, and usually ends up turning thick and viscous and white. Once the oil has reached this consistency, it is spit out before the toxins are reabsorbed.


Other possible benefits of oil pulling for oral health include:

• Overall strengthening of the teeth and gums and jaws
• Prevention of diseases of the gums and mouth, such as cavities and gingivitis
• Prevention for bad breath
• Potential holistic remedy for bleeding gums
• Prevention of dryness of the lips, mouth and throat
• Possible holistic treatment for TMJ and general soreness in the jaw area


Other possible benefits of oil pulling for overall health include:

• Migraine headache relief
• Correcting hormone imbalances
• Reducing inflammation of arthritis
• May help with gastro-enteritis
• Aids in the reduction of eczema
• May reduce symptoms of bronchitis
• Helps support normal kidney function
• May help reduce sinus congestion
• Some people report improved vision
• Helps reduce insomnia
• Reduced hangover after alcohol consumption
• Aids in reducing pain
• Reduces the symptoms of allergies
• Helps detoxify the body of harmful metals and organisms


I also stumbled upon The Wellness Mama! Lots of healthy food and healthy information on this blog. So happy I stumble on it, and have been stalking it for two days.

A simple 'how to':

- 1 - 2 tsp of organic oil, your preference
- Swish around for 20 minutes, first thing in the morning, prior to any drinking or food
- Spit into paper cup, tin, trash can. Don't test your septic for this stuff!
- Rinse your mouth well with warm water, brush if desired
- Brush to remove any remaining bacteria, or oil

So check it out for yourself, if your interested.  Google it, read it, do it!  For your health. 

Notes: DON'T SWALLOW! Be sure to spit that stuff out! You don't want to swallow the bacteria. Spit into the garbage, you don't want to clog the drain either.  

I'll be checking back next week with any changes I may see in my oil pulling experience.  
It's all the rage! 


(Side note to Kristi, I'll be back.)

Pulling for you,


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you have to say about that? I look forward to your comments xo